Sunday, August 21, 2016

Running Hot

I decided to can further progress on the unit today. I need to figure out the heating issue first. I do not like how hot the unit is running, thermal breakdown seems to be set at 90C for this type of CPU. I'm hitting 79-80 on any load. This is way to close for me.

So, my idea is to mount a fan on the top of the hit sync. I'll need to cut a hole in the top. Maybe find some kind of screening to protect the top.

I'm thinking of using a 12v fan, and pulling power from the power plug by solder two points on the bottom of the board. My other option would be going from use at 5v. I'm thinking with the 12v I could maybe add a switch and be able to step it down for different speeds.

 It really would be great if we had a power plug on the motherboard for a fan. There are some odd unused pins and ports on the motherboard I may probe to see what they are if I have time. Though I believe the first approach would be the easiest.

2 comments:

  1. Hi did you got WiFi working?
    I am on latest windows version and WiFi is not working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your BIOS, you can select between Broadcom AP6255 and Broadcom AP6212. Changing this to the other might help. I haven't tried/tested this. My BT3 eMMC is pouched (non-replaceable).

    ReplyDelete